0.0 Context Setting
It’s a warm Wednesday, 22 June, 2022 in Portland, Oregon today and I should really hook up that air conditioning unit.
I partly suspect it’s hot in this room because this old MacBook Pro is pumping out 80-odd watts of heat because of Zoom or whatever.
1.0 Some Things That Caught My Attention
Only a few short things that caught my attention today:
- In the department of SNOW CRASH WASN’T A MANUAL, please see the formation of a (the?) Metaverse Standards Forum, which is not the ACM’s Global Multimedia Protocol Group, but… a standards body isn’t necessarily a bad thing?
- Next to that in a Reuters story is Amazon apparently having a plan to do style transfer on voices, which in other words is that episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where Data plays back Picard’s voice and bypasses security controls, in an act never to be spoken of ever again. Episodic television!
- tv (Tidy Viewer) is a cross-platform pretty-printer to make columns look nice in your command line, which is… nice!
- Me, on June 14th: Has anyone mande PROMPT-LE yet, where you have to guess the prompt for a DALL-E-esque generated image in 6 tries. 6 days later: A huggingface app, Guess the Prompt.
- I am still thinking of what-if-Zoom-did-Spotify-wrapped, that whole end-of-year report based on datamining, but the data that’s being mined is the visual feed that Zoom (doesn’t actually?) record whenever your camera is on. Here’s the thread of thinking out loud.
Okay, that’s it for today. It’s very hot and too late in the day to write something longer.
How are you?